Thursday, June 10, 2010

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

If you’re an avid reader of Entertainment Weekly like me, you may have poured over their recent issue with the top 100 “characters” in the past twenty years. Spanning television, movies and books, the list was exhaustive and a great read. One of the characters was the narrator of Middlesex, Calliope “Cal” Stephanides, who documents his childhood as a hermaphrodite growing up in Detroit. My friend Melissa recommended the book to me recently and I picked up the audio version, only to go check out the paper copy because I couldn’t stand waiting to only listen while I was in the car. To call it an epic is a bit of an understatement – Cal begins by telling the story of his grandparents and their journey to the United States, then his parents as they fully assimilate into American life in Detroit, and then finally arriving to his own confusing and compelling life. The parallels stories of Cal’s journey and the tribulations in Motor City are unforgettable. Eugenides is a masterful storyteller and this is one book you do not want to miss. I hate to give anything away about the story because I want you to enjoy it as much as I did, but I will say that I am not at all surprised that Cal Stephanides made EW’s top 100 list.

[Photo: www.blog.syracuse.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment