Monday, August 31, 2009

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

Remember when I was raving about The Time Traveler's Wife movie trailer and how I would love if books had trailers? Well, the geniuses at Quirk Classics read my mind. Check out this hilarious trailer for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies!

When I first heard about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I knew I would buy it. I'm a huge fan of all things gothic and grotesque (examples: Dracula, True Blood, Night of the Living Dead) and I'm an even bigger fan of Jane Austen. I've read all of her works, and I must say, Seth Grahame-Smith does her writing justice in this ingenious farce of the classic story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy.

You're probably wondering just how zombies get written into such a tale. The Bennet sisters, led by their father, are highly skilled in martial arts and zombie killing, having trained in Asia. The reason for their training? The plague upon England (and all the world) of the undead. If one of the zombies bites a human, they become ill and die. Once buried, they rise again to eat upon the flesh of the living.

When Darcy first insults Elizabeth Bennett, her reaction is decidedly different than the one know so well. "As Mr. Darcy walked off, Elizabeth felt her blood turn cold. She had never in her life been so insulted. The warrior code demanded she avenge her honor. Elizabeth reached down to her ankle, taking care not to draw attention. There, her hand met the dagger concealed beneath her dress. She meant to follow this proud Mr. Darcy outside and open his throat." Thankfully, Elizabeth is distracted by a zombie attack at the ball, and Grahame-Smith continues to weave his tale of love and death.

Definitely worth the read - and look for the next Austen spoof coming soon: Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters coming out September 15! This trailer is even better!

[Photo: www.eeriebooks.com /www.uncrate.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment