Monday, September 21, 2009

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Markus Zusak's The Book Thief was easily one of the best books I read all summer. I originally heard about it during one of my Mason classes, and then when I spotted it on sale at Borders I had to pick it up. I wasn't sure what to expect, I only knew that it took place during the Holocaust.
I was surprised to find out that the book is narrated by Death, who is quite eloquent: "I could introduce myself properly, but it's not really necessary. You will know me well enough and soon enough, depending on a diverse range of variables. It suffices to say that at some point in time, I will be standing over you, as genially as possible. Your soul will be in my arms." After his own introduction, Death presents the story as "just a small story really, about, among other things: *a girl *some words *an accordionist *some fanatical Germans *a Jewish fist fighter *and quite a lot of thievery."
Death takes us from the beginning, where he first met the protagonist, Liesel Meminger, on her way to meet her new parents. The couple that has adopted her, Hans and Rosa Hubermann, eventually become Liesel's true family. She also becomes best friends with Rudy Steiner, who finds fame when he paints himself with coal and runs around the town track, pretending to be the Olympian runner Jesse Owens. In the height of Nazi Germany regime, this was not the smartest thing for Rudy to do. Liesel also makes some unexpected friends along the way, including the governor's wife and the Jewish fist fighter previously alluded to. I don't want to give too much away, and just say that you must must must read this book! It's an instant classic and for good reason, a #1 New York Times Bestseller.

[Photo: www.coverbrowser.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment