Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

You all know how excited I was to read Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife. Being number 88 in the holds queue was no picnic, so I was even more ecstatic when I got the email notifying that it was available to pick up and I had time to read it before classes started up again. When I arrived to pick it up, I was even more delighted that it was a brand new copy. A brand new book is bliss for all bookworms, barefoot or not. How about that alliteration?
So when I settled into see what this book was really all about, I was immediately hooked into the amazing love story between Henry DeTamble, a time traveler, and Clare Abshire, a normal girl whose childhood is marked by several visits from Henry. Their love is unconventional to say the least, but very powerfully rooted in destiny. Of course, my job is not to tell you what happens. I will tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book, but when I was approaching the end, my opinion started to change. I felt like the end of the book was extremely anti-climatic and kind of left a sour taste in my mouth.
For those of you that have already read it, I would love for you to post your opinions! When I talked to a friend about it last night, she stated that she was "probably the only person she knows that liked it." It's a beautifully written book, and Niffenegger connects the different time travels masterfully, but after reading I felt just as jaded as Clare when she realizes her life will never be what she thought it would be.

[Photo: www.jacketsandcovers.com]

3 comments:

  1. I actually have this book on hold at my library. I know of many people who disliked the ending, and I'm excited to see what I think of it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully my review doesn't sway you! It is a beautifully written story.

    ReplyDelete